Description of the organization
La Chaîne de l’Espoir is a French non-profit organization founded in 1994. It is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. La Chaîne de l’Espoir is a network of medical and surgical expertise. As a key player in healthcare, the organization is committed to providing medical treatment and education to the children who need it the most.
Description of programs
La Chaîne de l’Espoir has been providing medico-surgical care to vulnerable children in Jordan since 2012. As the Syrian conflict turned into a protracted humanitarian crisis in the region, paediatric surgical needs also evolved from emergency to gaps in access to health services. La Chaîne de l’Espoir identified the following main gaps: in the field of orthopaedics, children do not only need medico-surgical care for war-related trauma and wounds but also for musculoskeletal anomalies, deformities and malformations leading to physical impairments that hamper their participation in society in the short and long run (education, livelihoods, etc.) with multiplier effects on their families and communities at large. Likewise, there is a gap in access to life-saving surgeries for refugee children with congenital cardiac anomalies. Since 2013, La Chaîne de l’Espoir organized more than 3,400 specialized consultations in paediatrics orthopaedics and cardiology and operated on more than 600 children and young adults and treated more than 30 new-born babies with non-invasive treatments. Since April 2016, with ECHO's support, La Chaîne de l’Espoir has developed its life-saving and life-changing medico-surgical program with a larger view to improving the healthcare pathway for the target population and ultimately their inclusion and living conditions. First, La Chaîne de l’Espoir has developed and strengthened a network of health service providers in order to facilitate the identification of most vulnerable children (mainly refugees) with orthopaedics and cardiac impairments as well as ensure follow-ups and appropriate referrals. Second, La Chaîne de l’Espoir launched an early detection component for the most commonly found impairment (e.g. club foot, developmental dislocation of the hip). Third, La Chaîne de l’Espoir included a psychosocial support component for operated children and their families. This program is funded by European Union, Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid (ECHO).
Starting mid-2021, a 3 years project funded by Agence Française de Développement (AFD) will provide capacity building for local Civil Society Organizations (CSO) through the development of a healthcare services providers’ network, with the aim of promoting early detection and surgical care for vulnerable children suffering from orthopaedics congenital anomalies. The Ministry of Health will be a key actor of the project, as well as patients’ families and communities through awareness raising and trainings.
Goal / Purpose: To lead the implementation of La Chaîne de l’Espoir projects in Jordan in terms of:
- Quality and strategic programming
- internal and external coordination
- financial, administrative, human resources, logistic and security management
- compliance and accountability both internally and externally
The Head of Mission is responsible to perform the following tasks (non-exhaustive list):
Project management and strategy development
- Propose and develop an operational strategy in line with the association's policies and the population's needs.
- Propose new operational directions in accordance with the evolving context, lead needs and existing services assessments.
- Ensure the needs’ identification, formulation, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects.
- Make sure the projects are implemented in a timely, efficient and relevant manner while being consistent with commitments made.
- Participate in proposal writing in close collaboration with HQ.
Partnership leadership and management
- Propose and build partnerships with relevant stakeholders
- Develop partnership agreements whenever required
- Organise meetings with partners in order to monitor the implementation of the partnership activities and objectives and continuously improve the quality of the partnership.
Resource management / compliance
- Propose the human, financial and logistical resources required for the implementation of the projects.
- Ensure that financial resources and other means necessary to the implementation of the projects are mobilized.
- Guarantee the appropriate use of resources in accordance with existing procedures and compliance with donors’ rules.
Human resource management
- Manage La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s team in Jordan
- Monitor the implementation of La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s human resources policy and procedures; propose adaptations to those in accordance with the local context as relevant.
- Provide support and guidance to the team in order to achieve their objectives.
- Ensure that documents produced meet deadlines and quality standards
- Ensure that all internal reporting respects the standard formats and procedures
- Organise regular internal and external coordination meetings
- Ensure that key operational information circulates properly, between HQ, La Chaîne de l’Espoir teams in Jordan (and Lebanon as relevant) and partners
- Coordinate with local stakeholders such as administrative, political and local authorities, civil society (partners, other NGO…), donors and media
- Be an active participant in humanitarian forums and relevant coordination meetings
- Represent La Chaîne de l’Espoir and the program towards donors including for reporting and fundraising
- Supervise La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s registration in Jordan (and Lebanon as relevant) and ensure that the internal process is adapted to the new status of La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s (Human resources, registration to MoPIC, etc…)
- Guide the security and safety of La Chaîne de l’Espoir staff and missions
- Ensure a security monitoring and propose measures to prevent, adapt and react to security incidents
- Report security and safety incidents whenever relevant
- Be in charge of the reporting to the donor
- Be in charge of the bi-monthly reporting to HQ
The Head of Mission:
- Is under the direct supervision of La Chaîne de l’Espoir Programs Coordinator at HQ
- Is the direct manager of the team in Jordan (HR / Fin / Admin Officer, Logistics Officer, Medical Manager, PSS Officer, ED Officer, Medical Manager Assistant)
- Liaises with La Chaîne de l’Espoir HQ technical referents any time required
- Works closely with the hospitals, the surgical teams, the key informants and any other relevant stakeholders
Education and professional experience
- Degree in the field of humanitarian project management, development studies, international cooperation / relations
- 5-year field experience with an international NGO in a similar position – program manager, program coordinator or field coordinator (essential)
- Demonstrated experience in context analysis, strategy development, project cycle management including reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Previous experience in managing institutional funding (essential)
- Previous work experience in Jordan, in the Middle East and/or in the health sector (desired)
- Strategic thinking, capacity to analyze and propose solutions
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Listening skills, patience and sense of diplomacy in operational environment
- Autonomy, polyvalence and flexibility
- Adherence to humanitarian principles and La Chaîne de l’Espoir code of ethics
Language and IT
- Excellent command of spoken and written French and English (mandatory)
- Command of or interest to learn Arabic is a plus
- Command of Microsoft software tools
- VSI (Volontariat de Solidarité Internationale) 1-year contract, renewable
- Family duty station
- Remuneration: based on experience and education
- Accommodation and benefits according to VSI status and La Chaîne de l’Espoir policies
HOW TO APPLY
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV should be addressed to our recruitment team with the subject “Head of Mission Jordan”, by email to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.Postulez