Reports to: Country Coordinator Infrastructure and Equipment Manager (HQ)
Technical and working relationship: Biomedical Engineer, MEPs Engineer, Generalist building Engineer Building Project Manager (HQ), Biomedical Engineer (HQ), Logistics and security coordinator, Legal & Development affairs specialist, General Contractor, Supervision team
About La Chaîne de l’Espoir
La Chaîne de l'Espoir is a French non-for-profit association founded by Professor Alain Deloche in 1994 and currently chaired by Doctor Eric Cheysson. This international aid association is independent and impartial. It works in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. La Chaîne de l'Espoir was formed by a network of medical and surgical expertise. As a key player in the health sector, it is committed to providing medical treatment and education to children who need it most. It also supports the health systems in the countries in which it intervenes, by building and equipping structures adapted to the local context.
La Chaîne de l'Espoir in Iraq
La Chaîne de l'Espoir is implementing programmes in Sinjar that aim at rebuilding the healthcare system that was previously destroyed, contributing to the early recovery of Sinjar District.
The 1st programme, already started, aims at supporting the primary health care centre of Sinjar by building and equipping an operation theatre. A second phase (yet to be launched) consists in recruiting and managing a team to run the operation theatre.
The 2nd programme aims at building the New Sinjar Hospital - NSH (25 beds). The NSH will provide health care to men, women and children of all ages. It includes a mother and child unit, and will also be designed to include surgery and obstetric unit, outpatient consultations, medical imaging, a laboratory, a pharmacy as well as the hospital's first logistics and energy premises.
All programmes are supported by the Iraqi Ministry of Health (MOH) and the French Government through its Centre of Crisis and Support (CDCS). The NSH programme is also supported by the Madad Fund of the European Union for the equipment.
General scope of the position
The Infrastructure Coordinator is in charge of planning, coordinating and monitoring all constructions and/or renovations and/or bio-medical equipment related activities in Iraq/KRI. Especially, s.he will follow-up of the NSH construction project according to the technical processes and standards (Sinjar 2nd programme – NSH) until the perfect completion of the work.
S.He is under the management of the General Coordinator and technical supervision of the Infrastructure and Equipment Manager (HQ).
Essential duties and responsibilities
1- Technical monitoring of infrastructure projects and especially the New Sinjar Hospital (NSH)
- Ensures the completion of the work within the planned time frame and the allocated budget.
- Participate in the follow-up of the work of the various trades involved in the project.
- Guarantee the conformity of the execution with the contractual documents, state of the art and specific medical buildings requirements.
- Guarantee the quality of the works on hospital site.
- Control the security and safety on site.
- Report weekly to HQ and General Coordinator about the project progress.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with the monthly schedule, budget and report for the technical construction of NSH, as well as treasury forecast in compliance with La Chaîne de l'Espoir's regulation and infrastructure programme implementation.
- Provide technical answers and advices regarding construction related topics.
- Collect data and information (monthly) to monitor the hospital progress on site, to follow the projects implementation, and fill-in indicators table.
- Propose corrective action plans, in case of discrepancies observed.
- Organize weekly site meeting with the general contractor and the construction management company.
- Verify the technical part of the administrative and financial documents related to the construction and equipment and share comments to Admin / HR / Finance coordinator.
- Participate in the preparation of budget follow-ups and forecasts regarding infrastructure aspects.
- Prepare invoices for payment of the works and anticipate the cash flow required for payments.
- If a re-evaluation/modification is needed, prepare technical description and cost estimation.
- Carry out a monitoring of the local companies and their references when required.
- Write analysis reports and contribute to donors’ report on technical sections.
- Contribute in financial audit and final evaluation by provided supporting documents as required.
2- Technical team management
- Supervise staff under his/her responsibility-three specialized Engineers (Biomed, MEPs, Structure and architecture)- in order to achieve proper monitoring and follow-up of the constructions.
- Set objectives, train and evaluate bi-annually the staff under his/her responsibility.
- Ensure technical support for his/her area of activity and provides coaching to staff under his/her responsibility.
- Ensure a proper Human resources set-up of the mission on construction site to reach agreed objectives, including staff recruitment, supervision, appraisal, mentoring and capacity building.
- Support the collaborators recruitment for the technical team within countries and integrate them into operations.
- Ensure the cohesion of the technical team, establish a climate of trust, good communication and regular exchanges among all employees.
- Facilitate the coordination between the team under his/her responsibility and other departments.
- Work closely with the General Coordinator to ensure that operations comply with the best practices all along the project cycle.
3- Project management and legal affairs
- Supervise the implementation and development of the project.
- Provide the interface between HQ project management and local partners (authorities, architects, companies).
- Write the necessary documents, including contextualized, quality proposals.
- Undertake pro-active prospection and propose alternative possibilities if needed.
- Manage all contracts regarding the construction (general contractor, contract management company, sub-contractors, etc.) during the construction for the SFMI project (BoQ, compliance of reports/works situation with contractual requirements, etc.).
- Supervise, with La Chaîne de l'Espoir team, the negotiation of the contract with the general contractor and the contract management company regarding the construction of the NSH and equipment procurement and delivery.
- Manage the implementation of contractual and legal clauses in close coordination with the Legal and Development Affairs specialist and the General Coordinator.
- Guarantee the respect of the contract clauses in close coordination with the Legal and Development Affairs specialist and the General Coordinator.
- Contribute to ensuring that La Chaîne de l'Espoir and donors’ procedure are respected so as to ensure the eligibility of all expenditure.
4- Construction Representative
- Be the focal point with the various external and internal partners involved in constructions: General contractor, Supervision Team, HQ, local authorities… in relation with the General Coordinator.
- Manage and control the General Contractor and the construction management company.
- Manage relationships with the Ministry of Health (MOH) Engineers team regarding La Chaîne de l'Espoir technical and architectural design and construction for the NSH.
- In coordination with the General Coordinator, represent La Chaîne de l'Espoir to relevant audiences, maintains contact and communicates with different interlocutors, and identifies key opportunities and events for La Chaîne de l'Espoir to position itself as a key player for health issues in Iraq.
- Collaborate with La Chaîne de l'Espoir headquarter and support technical team in the preparation and proper conduct of the construction progress, whether internal or external.
With a higher education in building engineering or architecture.
You have at least 7 years of successful experience in building engineering and site management, on new projects and renovations, of all trades with real management skills. You also have a good knowledge of Iraq and Iraqi Kurdistan.
Experience in Hospital building is an asset.
Good verbal and written communication skills in English and Arabic.
Knowledge of Kurdish is desirable.
French is an asset.
- Adherence to humanitarian principle and La Chaîne de l'Espoir’s code of ethics;
- Knowledge of the functioning of international NGOs;
- Patience, flexibility and capacity of adaptation;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Good cross-sectional knowledge of building and BIM;
- Rigour, analysis and synthesis capability;
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Package and AUTOCAD;
- Capacity to travel in unstable areas, especially to Sinjar;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated capacities to work with colleagues;
- Stress management, ability to manage fatigue and set limits.
National, 12 months full time contract. Possibility of renewal.
Salary range: according to profile and experience
Position based in Erbil with regular mission to Sinjar.
How to apply
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to La Chaîne de l'Espoir recruitment team with the subject “Recruitment La Chaîne de l'Espoir – Infrastructure Coordinator”, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Deadline for application: 15/10/2020Postulez